Society News

We Are Ready to Conduct an Independent Investigation to Bring Justice to Sylvester – Family Vows

Sylvester Oromoni, the father of Sylvester Oromoni Jnr, a late 12-year-old student of Dowen College in Lekki, Lagos, has reaffirmed the family’s determination to seek justice, stressing that he would not bury his son even if it took 30 years.

He also slammed the autopsy findings from the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital in Ikeja, claiming that foul play was involved.

Sylvester’s death became viral after his cousin, Perry Oromoni, claimed on social media that he was beaten up in his dormitory by senior students because he refused to join a cult.

The school refused the accusation, claiming that the youngster had complained of leg aches as a result of a sports injury.

The state government ordered the school to be closed indefinitely awaiting the result of the inquiry.

The police detained five pupils and five school staff, but legal counsel from the Directorate of Public Prosecutions, Adetutu Oshinusi, exonerated the accused.

Sylvester died of “acute lung damage owing to chemical poisoning in a backdrop of physical force trauma,” according to an autopsy performed by Clement Vhriterhire, a consultant pathologist at the Central Hospital Warri.

The cause of death, according to the interim and final autopsy reports from LASUTH, was “septicemia, lobar pneumonia with acute pyelonephritis and pyomyositis of the right ankle.”

On Friday, the state’s departing Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, stated the toxicology report of the first autopsy in Warri, signed by Vhriterhire, was issued on December 30, 2021, assigning the cause of death to “acute bacterial pneumonia due to severe sepsis.”

Sylvester Snr and Femi Falana, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, have spoken out against the DPP’s recommendations, with the latter calling the report “escapist and rushed.”

“The investigation has not put to bed the accusations surrounding Sylvester Oromoni’s brutal murder,” Falana stated. The report is escapist and hurried because the authorities are aware that the Lagos State Chief Coroner has ordered an inquiry into the circumstances surrounding Sylvester Oromoni’s tragic death. The inquiry, which began in front of the coroner on December 16, 2021, has been postponed until January 15, 2022.”

The father said on Friday that the case was still open and that his son would not be buried until “justice is served,” which he indicated may take up to 30 years.

“The family does not have authority,” he remarked. We only have God to rely on. There will be no difficulty if they insist on reopening the school. I’ll follow up on this case if God keeps me alive for another 20 or 30 years. The government will arrive and then leave. I am unconcerned. That boy’s soul is wailing all around him. God is a living being who cannot be bought.

“My son will never be laid to rest.” He would stay there if it took me 30 years to seek justice (in the mortuary). I will not bury him since he is my son. Nigerians should consider what they are saying in addition to what they are saying.”

“Do they have an autopsy report?” he responded when asked whether he had any doubts about the autopsy issued by the state administration. They don’t have any. The Area Commander approved the doctor who performed the autopsy in Delta State. He isn’t your typical family physician. He’s someone we’ve never met before. Our lawyer requested a copy of the autopsy from the Area Command.”

However, at a news conference titled ‘Sylvester Oromoni Jnr: Update on Investigation,’ held at the police headquarters in Ikeja on Friday, Odumosu refuted any wrongdoing.

He stated that after a petition to the police, eight people were detained – five kids and three house masters – and that he examined the late pupil’s relatives, the school management, and witnesses at the command’s headquarters on December 9, 2021.

“It was unanimously decided during the open interview that another autopsy should be performed with pathologists from all parties present,” he stated. The probe was expanded to include Delta State and Abuja. I’d want to point out that an inquiry discovered that the identical incidence was reported on December 1, 2021, at the Area Command Warri, Delta State.

“A post mortem examination was first conducted out on December 2, 2021, by a Consultant Pathologist, Dr. Clement Vhriterhire of the Central Hospital, Warri, Delta State.” The cause of death, according to the initial autopsy report dated December 10, 2021, was “acute lung damage owing to chemical poisoning in a backdrop of blunt force trauma.”

“Toxicology screening, on the other hand, was advised and carried out.” Because of the status of jurisdiction, the Coroner Magistrate in Lagos ordered another autopsy while waiting for the toxicological results. TOS Funeral transported the body from Delta State to Lagos State with armed police guards, and the autopsy was done at the cost of the Lagos State Government. On December 14, 2021, a second autopsy was performed at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital in the presence of representatives from all parties engaged in the case.”

The second autopsy was conducted by Dr. S.S Soyemi, Consultant Pathologist and Chief Examiner, Department of Pathology and Forensic Sciences, LASUTH, in front of representatives from all parties, including Vhriterhire, as well as police officers and other key authorities, according to the CP.

The post mortem and toxicological examinations undertaken in Delta and Lagos states concluded that the deceased died of natural causes, according to Odumosu.

“Before the 21-day remand order expired, the pupils’ families appealed for their release at the Magistrates’ Court 1 Yaba,” he said. The application was approved, and the pupils who had been detained in the Boys Home in Oregun were released on bond. After the 21-day remand order expired, the house masters were also given bail.

“On December 21, 2021, the results of the second autopsy performed in Lagos were disclosed. ‘Septicaemia, lobar pneumonia with acute pyelonephritis and pyomyositis of the right ankle,’ according to the findings. The toxicology screening findings of the first autopsy performed in Warri were disclosed on December 30, 2021. The cause of death was assigned to ‘acute bacterial pneumonia due to severe sepsis,’ according to the report published and signed by Dr. Clement Vhriterhire, the same doctor who performed the first autopsy.

“After a thorough examination, there is no evidence to support a case of torture, bullying or the forced application of a dangerous chemical against the accused.” The charges of torture, bullying and the administration of a toxic chemical to the deceased were all rejected by all of the accused. The claim that the deceased was coerced into joining a cult organization was also debunked by other pupils interviewed.”

Leave a Response