Ebira Women are Beautiful But Before You Marry Them, Know The Following.
Note that the images used in this article are for illustrative purposes only.
Ebira is a tribe in Kogi State Nigeria who are found majorly in five Local Governments areas of the State (Okehi, Ajaokuta, Okene, Ogorimagongo and Adavi). Aside Kogi State, they are also spread accross other States especially Ondo and Ekiti State.
Their women are extremely beautiful and are easily attracted to men. Their beauty could make you fall in love with them at first sight.
In as much as they are beautiful and attractive, there are things you need to know about them before you decide to marry from there. The reason is to brace you up on what is expected of you during the marriage. For that reason, you need to note the following things;
1. The tribe is dominated by Islam which means most of these beautiful Ebira women you are seeing are Moslems. They are not just Muslims but devoted Moslems who hardly get converted through Marriage.
2. If you are interested in marrying an Ebira Lady, it is not your duty to inform her family of your intention. While in most tribes, the man mostly walk up to the lady’s family to declare him intention, in Ebira tradition, it is the family members of the man that does that. The man is not expected to go with them.
3. (a) During Marriage introduction which is known by Ebiras as “ISE EWERE”, his family proceeds to their in-law’s house for some introductory rites.
(b) During the introduction, the family of the bride provide foods and drinks to entertain their visitors.
(c) During the introduction, the groom’s family are to provide some items which includes;
✓ 100 Tubers of Yam
✓ Dried Fish And Bush Meat
✓ Palm Oil
✓ Bag of Salt
✓ Groundnut Oil
✓ Pieces of Jewelry and Adornment for the bride
✓ Clothing materials in a Box for the bride.
✓ Two wrappers for the bride (Optional)
✓ Money for the clan and elders of the family.
Something about these items is that, it is not traditionally mandatory because it is dependent on the decision of the bride’s family. If they want the Marriage to be less on the their in-laws based on understanding, they might forfeit the items.
Another thing to note about the items is that, most of them are shared among their extended family and neighbors so that they could pray for the couple.
4. Bride Price
Bride Price is determined my the family of the bride and they mostly consider the financial strength of the groom.
Meanwhile, there are some money that must be paid according to tradition;
1. “OZEMEIYI”. This is the money paid to prove that the groom is attracted to the bride.
2. “OTANUGOVEI” It is the money paid for the joining together of the couple’s hands.
3. “IDOZA” In the olden days, the man that is interested in their daughter had to help his in-law on the farm but these days, money is being paid to replace that. The money to be paid for that is the “IDOZA”.
Those are the most important things you should know about Ebira women and their Marriage before you proceed to marrying them.